Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

( 4 Bach Christmas cantatas BWV 27, 84, 95, and 161...playing in the distance)
  If you haven't figured it out yet I'm it could be said heavy in to classical music, particularly masses and other liturgical works...mostly of the Barque and early Classical periods...I took a few years of piano when I still was in grade school....the teacher taught from a series of books based on classical music...the first time I sang in church, it was a duet with my sister...and I already sang harmony......then there was high school band.I played French Horn in a group that the majority of the pieces we played were transcriptions of master works...along the way to my 70th year I played, and sang in various groups church choirs, school chorus, small groups, and several times with the local choral society.....I've mentioned piano and French Horn, but also what we call in the USA recorders, but they are also know as beaked flute......and then the voice.....I had a high tenor voice, one that was best suited to Barque music, particular liturgical music ...I said had because age and ET (no not extraterritorial, but essential tremors.which had a negative effect on my vocal chords and diaphragm...but I can still hear the parts in my head....and still enjoy listening to the music I loved to sing......
  But although I was a 1st Horn or the leader tenor in many of groups I played/sang with......I was also a bit of a scamp.....and when presented a great horn or tenor part I tended to lead my section in the "taking over" of the piece....Two times jump to mind
  When we sang the Christmas portion of Handel's Messiah the director add "Let  All the Angels of God Worship Him".....a absolutely wonderful tenor part and my fellow scamp DJ and I ran away with it....but then I had  CD of the Robert Shaw Choral sing the same piece and their tenors did the same thing..in rehearsal our director, gave the two of us "the look" shook her head, but didn't say a word and we continued blasting the part......
  But the best of all was when our High School played a transcription of Beethoven's "Egmont Overture" in the final section there is a very wild finale and a great horn line.....so I arranged for the whole section.5 horns strong in a band that maybe had 50 members..to go bells up in one rehearsal .....our director gave a quick glance and basically just accept it....but we were playing on the stage of the auditorium and when we got done the senior high principle was in the well in front of the stage and was pointing to the ceiling and the chandeliers in the main part of the auditorium were swinging.....he was not pleased but for my part I loved it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment