Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Thursday, January 18, 2018

(7:21 PM Est)
(+26*F.....+16*F windchill)
( Wagner "Overtures & Preludes")
  Anyone who has every read this blog before knows that I'm a huge fan of classical music.....particularly.......liturgical and music of the Baroque period......but you've never heard me speak of opera......I have a love/hate relationship or more to the point attitude towards opera...with just a few exceptions......I basically don't like it...it just doesn't "fit my ear".....the exceptions are I do like the Mozart  opera "The Magic Flute".....and "West Side Story"...... which is more opera then musical...and the recent "Phantom of the Opera".....beyond that I may like a piece from one here and there.....except for the overtures.....I'm very fond of the overtures to operas by Wagner and Rossini......back when I played in the high school band we played several transcriptions of Rossini operas......besides if you remember the old Bugs Bunny cartoons.....and some of the Mickey Mouse cartoons you have heard some of these pieces...you can find just a few examples of many (here)
  Been checking the forecasts for the next few days and looks like my best bet for a walk will be Sunday...actually warmer Monday or Tuesday but rain in the forecast...and the "stores of victuals" is getting a little picked over.......but then there is always delivery.....

No comments:

Post a Comment