Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Saturday, August 20, 2005

It has been a wonderful day, weather wise the day has basically stunk, a little drizzle of rain most of most of the day but otherwise was a nice day. Buying the monitor last night zapped my working cash, so I headed out today to the bank to withdrawn a little capital. And stopped at the local grocery for a few items, cat Smokey needed milk. I have three and she is the only one who enjoys a saucer of milk. Well there is another stereotype shot to h*ll (hehe).

Stopped at Mickey D’s for a bacon McGriddle and a large coffee, dropped the milk et al at home and set off to go to the last of the fruit markets in the area. But needed orange juice to complete the breakfast so stopped at a convenient on the way, Well not really a fruit market in the Italian style, when I moved to Watertown nearly 40 years ago there were 5 or 6 traditional Italian fruit markets in town. H*ll 3 of them were within spittin’ distance. Now the only thing close to that is, well I guess really more of a farm market, south of town. Now while I like the new “mega-grocery” stores I miss the old specialty shops. The fruit and veggie markets, the meat markets, the bakeries et al. I found some lovely cubanella peppers, and an odd fruit I have never had. It’s called a pluot, which is a cross between a plum and an apricot. In fact if I didn’t know that it was a cross I would never expect it. It is a bit less juicy then a plum and a bit more tart, knowing that there is apricot in the mix, you can taste it but if you didn’t know you would just assume a variety of plum.

Have basically hung out the rest of the day. Had some veal thawed that I really needed to use, so pounded the h*ll out of it, peppered the snot out of it, put it in the broiler and put it into a couple of hoagie rolls with a little lettuce and tomato…….roma of course…….quite nice. I love roma tomatoes, maybe not quite as flavorful as some of the other varieties but they last forever, and when you live alone, that is a necessary consideration.

Have watched the same iron chef American show 3 times now, yeah I know pathetic but I’m I love with iron chef Cat Cora……………..ok so I’m a dirty old man….live with it……I do.

Need to take a bath and the weekly shaving of my pitiful beard. Sunday is a comin’, and I must at least appear to be presentable, even though that is far from the truth. (trollie looks up and realizes that he is writing a novella tonight).

I am struggling with a problem that really can’t be aired in this forum, I wish it could, I wish I could shout to the world how I’m being caught on the horns of a problem for which there is no solution, but I am basically a stoic, and I will deal as I deal with all such problems ( and yes I know the current term is “issues” but to h*ll with that).

No comments:

Post a Comment