Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Monday, September 6, 2021

 *[05:40 UTC-4]*..I sitting here early..always up around this time..just finished a good day at the tables on "Replay Poker"..Labor Day holiday here in the USA & got thinking about how many holidays I worked in the past..am retired now..but two leap to mind..for many years I ran the shipping/receiving & warehousing department for a small factory..we had a rush load to Cali & had to load on Christmas Day..since I had to go in to deal with the paper work..told my guys to enjoy the day..knew the driver well..an independent who ran veggies into Boston or NYC & had taken loads back to Cali for us several times..so took the wife & my d..they chatted with him whilst I loaded the truck..but the wild one..got a call about 13:00 on Easter..plant was right next to the Black River [link] which has a nasty habit of overflowing it's banks almost every spring..usually we'd be okay because where it flowed by the plant it was in a fairly deep "cut"..but this particular year it set a record for being over "flood stage" & we had about 2&1/2 feet of water in the parking lot..the building was an island..first job was to sandbag the 4 silos(120K lbs capacity/)..got hold of a local driver to move about 10 storage trailers..& then move finished goods to an off-site warehouse..all this time trudging thru the water..oy vey..about 23 hours later..I had everything me & the guys had to do..done..went home & slept about 12 hours straight..[shakes his old grey head]..../....*[15:23 UTC-4}..weather was nasty for most of the morning..although I didn't heard any thunder (whether it's because I live in a cement block building or that I'm partially deaf I honestly don't know) but did see several flashes of lightening thru my window..anyways had my day well in-hand by just after 12:00 so checked the radar & the storm had past..well at least the rain..the wind was still blowing at about 15 mph & you could still sense the moisture in the air..just a quick walk down to Dollar General & a 6-pack of orange soda..../....at this point in the day I have all my on-line gaming down..have posted to "Tollie's Game Room" but have a draft to finish there..has been a fairly busy day on FB..both on my 2 groups & my timeline..posted the earlier entry here on my timeline as well..have gotten some interesting feed-back..I have about 30  friends on FB that I reconnected with thru FB that I haven't see in the flesh as it were since the last Saturday in June.1966..(high school graduation) left for Watertown NY the next day & haven't been back that way more than a hand full of times in the last 55 years..../....just a few things to wrap-up before I take my rest..ergo.."nite all"....[15:41]..../....

No comments:

Post a Comment