Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Life is what it is, and maybe on many fronts the last 3+ years have been less then what I would have expected them to be…(the mad one takes a deep breath and moves on…hopefully forward…but…)

A nice day…a positive day…

I have a niece the world sees her is disabled…things beyond her control has put her in a wheelchair at 35…and a single parent with 2 kids…and yet I draw strength from her when we “connect”…

We’d talked by phone earlier in the week …and she was free for a few hours this Saturday

(A brief pause as cat Aggie is lonely and I must attend to her needs)

If you cannot accept my love of cats then…. well sorry but I am who I am…just did my daily check for tumor test on Aggie…I have lost 3 of the 4 cats I have had as an adult to one form or any other to cancer and the 2 remaining I check daily in the obvious spots for tumors…Smokey accepts those checks …Aggie is offended by them….

(Oh Gd there I go again …losing my train of thought)

Anyways…my niece was free for lunch and I took her to my fav upscale Greek diner for lunch…

And I learnt a very hard lesson about being disabled or with the realities of being disabled…the mere fact of disassembling her motorized chair…and trying to store it in my sub-compact car trunk…and then trying to get it back together properly at the restaurant…and then reversing the process to get her home…don’t miss understand…to spend the hours with my gifted niece I would put up with it every time…but I never really understood …never really comprehended the logistical nightmare that she must endure…every day of her life

That being said I can’t wait for the chance to do it again…she had never had a gyro…to see her attack that plate of food with gusto was more reward then I have ever required…

She is my hero…. (Pardon the masculine form of the word)…we sat outside her place and talked for hours…except for my daughter…she is the one person in my family that I connect with the most…and it’s strange because she is a member of my family as she would say by “signature”…(that’s adopted as I would put it)….

No comments:

Post a Comment