Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Friday, August 12, 2005

I actually had the puter shutdown, and fired her back up. I have an older machine that runs ME and if I leave it on too long I get all kinds of glitches, so I shut her down every night. But I’m wired tonight, and even though I should be in bed, I’m wide-awake and to try to sleep would be wasted effort. I’m listening to Britton’s young peoples guide to the orchestra. Dynamite piece of music.

I made some eggs and tried out some olive oil I bought tonight at big lots. It’s infused with red chilies. Interesting effect, where as normal the heat is added as a layer in the cooking process, the base is a rather neutral oil, or butter or even bacon fat or lard, which although It adds an element to the flavor it is a mild base, but starting with the heat in the cooking element, infuses the entire dish with this amazing heat, as well as the chili oil actually has a very distinct and interesting flavor. Frankly not one that I think would go with a lot of dishes, but I will use when appropriate. From time to time. And for less the 2 bucks for 8 ozs. Who cares?

That’s the wonder of big lots; all they sell basically is overruns and failed product lines. If you dig it you can get it cheap. The only problem is, that if it’s something you’d like on a regular basis you have to buy gobs of it at one time, because once it’s gone, it’s gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment