Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Today was not the day, I did the bare minimum at work today, must spend a few hours at inventory either today, tomorrow or Monday but today was not the day…I am concerned with the pain I have experienced over the last 2 or 3 days that finally I must accept the fact that knee surgery is in my future…on both knees…I have denied the pain from both for over 40 years but with what I have endured lately it might be time to get it done…

But with all the pain and all the crap of work was a gentile day…

After my brief stop at work…talking about that had a voice mail waiting from one of the execs…but was gone before I rolled in…live with it…I will do the Saturday deal but I get there when I get there…will deal with his concerns Monday…he ain’t goin’ to be there on Sunday…I will for a bit but you can bet your bottom dollar he won’t be there… on one hand I should get up 6ish to attend to work before church…on the other hand don’t think I can accomplish what I really should do in the time frame…and think I might attend work after church…

Ok, my comment to my faith may be a problem to some…live with it…it is what It is…I will never apologies for my faith…I will never “hit you over the head with it” as a fundamentalist might…but my faith is what it is…besides I have two commitments to service on Sunday…foremost I have taught adult Christian education for …well the better part of 40 years…and I sing harmony with my church’s worship team…contemporary music group…I am an amateur musician…or as some would say vocalist…I sing classical/liturgical with the local choral society…I am the lead high tenor…and with my local church worship team as a harmony singer…harmony singing is what I have done for over 50 years…although I have only a vague memory of the event…I first sang in public at about 5+ years old…children’s day…an event celebrated in fundamentalist/evangelical churches if no where else…and they tell me I already sang harmony…

I remember my first music class in first grade…I can’t remember the song but I do remember I sang a harmony line to whatever the song was…when we got done the teacher …Mrs. Strauss IIRC (forgive but that was like 53 some odd years ago)…said who’s singing harmony…I remember thinking I was in big trouble…but raised my hand and admitted it was me…she looked at me…pointed to about 5 or 6 others and said stand next to him and sing the line he’s singing…after a few other music classes she said to me do you hear another line…I said I hear 3 or 4 but only one I can actually sing…she put another 5 or 6 with me to learn that part…in the concert we where the only 1st grade choir that sang any harmony at all and the only on with 3 parts…

I have a friend…Todd by name…he has his docs in physiology… but is a brilliant musician…chiefly on violin…but plays multiple instruments…I once asked him why he wasn’t playing with an orchestra somewhere…he looked me straight in the eye and said…why aren’t you singing with an opera company or a major choral music group…well I said there are really two reasons…the first is no one ever told me I could…and even if they had the real reason is music…performance …is my escape from the real world…it is my joy…it is my safe place …to hide…to relax…to find joy…and I was afraid that if I made it what my income came from I would lose the joy, the peace, the escape…Todd looked me right in the eye and said…exactly…

No comments:

Post a Comment