Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Thursday, June 15, 2017

  the post I made earlier to my Facebook timeline and cut and copied here below got me thinking about my adventures in politics......i thought that what was wrong with politics is that we left them to the politicians, and that maybe the problem could be rectified by a non-politician getting involved........now at the time I was a registered member of the NYS Conservative party......knew the chairmen of the country party, and lived in a neighborhood, that did not have a ward committeemen...  anywho......I accepted, at the same time I was  lay member of the county Council of Church's.......and if you don't understand that that's involves politics then you've never been a delegate to a local county Council of Church's..... but I degrees.....
  At one point I was offered and accepted a spot on the executive committee of the county Conservative Party... didn't last that long but.....was on the committee when the story below took place, (sorry for the long intro)
  I played for many years at a local public golf course, which sold yearly memberships, and there was an association for members that ran 3 leagues, and a bunch of tournaments.....members only....what i want   to write about tonight occurred after a member's men's league.....
  My partner and I, partner was head of QC at the plant i worked at, I was the Materials Supervisor, we played against a special ed. teacher, and a lawyer who lived in the same neighborhood I did, and he and his wife had twin girls that were in my daughter's class, and was the county chairman of the Democratic party....... so my partner wandered off and his partner got the look from him, so the two of us sat there eating our 'cold plates' and did i mention the pitcher of Gin and Tonic, it was a hot night and you need to re-hydrate........This was just after Reagan got the nod to run for POTUS.......(again i apologize for the long intro)
  He knew my point of view, and said "You must be happy that you have a candidate that agrees with most of your point of view"
  I thought for a minute and replied " I'm not saying I won't vote for him, but I really think he's too dang old for the pressure and the responsibility of the job"
  And I don't know the actually situation, but to be honest the last 2 or so years he was in office, for lack of a medical diagnosis, let's just call it old-timers........
  So finally to my point, the election for POTUS between HC and DT.......at the time of the election I was about a month short of 69 years old, and they were both older then me.......call me ageist if you must, but with the pressures and responsibilities of the job, I'd rather see a younger candidate.......  
( i just realized that a "cold plate" might not be common knowledge......a scoop of cottage cheese , a scoop of macaroni salad, a scoop of potato salad, slices of roast beef, turkey and ham, rolls and butter....and sometimes some sliced veg )

No comments:

Post a Comment