Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Sunday, September 10, 2017

(if you're looking for my rant it's the post below)
  My freshman year in high school, our band director created small group lessons, and as 1st horn i was put in a woodwind quintet.........not that I was ready for it, but i grew in to it...............and loved it..........maybe it was the genesis of my love for small group musically groups.........but this is not the point.........
  because of the schedule, I ate lunch in the 3rd lunch period, I was a junior at the time ,just band and senior choir, ate that period, so the lunch room was  empty, and I could find an empty table.......but this time a senior, a band mate, a woodwind quintet mate, ask if she could sit down........and slid a score to me, said she * you know by now the tradition, she was a senior and a flautist......( that means she played a flute.......not even spell check knew the term)........because I'm majoring in music I get a senior piece.......normally it was with the band but she had picked a flute/horn duet.........I was honored.......I looked at the score.......with a few tries no big deal........but I asked who's playing the piano.......she said LG..........who was one of our quintet mates......in quintet she played clarinet, but also played piano.....didn't know that at that point......but agreed.......
  after a few rehearsals........everything was going great.......all involved were playing great.........another lunch.........again I found a table  alone......and KL ask if she could sit down........what's up.......said she......."if you agree I'd like to go to the band director and change what we're doing from flute/horn with piano accompaniment to a trio".........if I remember I laughed.......and said I've thought that for days, but it's your call, and that's what we did.........  

No comments:

Post a Comment