Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Saturday, April 12, 2003

Nicky has an interesting entry on her blog this morning. Yesterday�s posts by her were filled with emotion and concern, and several of us posted comments of support. She made the statement that our support came even if all she was to us was �pixels� and a few entries in a diary. On one hand what she says is quite true. All we see on one level is �0�s & 1�s��.but on another level we can see, or at least get a glimpse in to the soul of the person(s) we exchange with out here in net land. (NOTE: the use of you in the following is purely generic, no specific individual is intended) In many cases if I read your blogs, if I have exchanges with you on boards, there are the entries on taggies, guestbooks, et al. and each time even though you are in reality only leaving �0�s&1�s� you are also leaving little bits of yourself, little bits of your soul. And yes if I passed any of my �net� friends on the street I would walk by with out recognition. But if I conversed with you, even a little while I may not recognize you, I would come away with the feeling that something was strangely familiar.
If a person is honest, if they are not playing a persona out here in net land, then one gets glimpses into the personality from what they write. Particularly on boards and diaries, Even if you withhold much, you cannot conceal everything. Your basic character traits will emerge. You can not for long conceal for example your sense of humor, those things that you feel strongly about, will not stay hidden, and each piece shows another piece of your soul.
If one posses a reasonable level of empathy�and I do�.you can learn much�and feel much from very little�.
One of the great things about blogging is that you can �see� the person; you can feel their emotions, because in many cases through their writings you get to see a bit of the soul of the man/woman/troll.
(NOTE: after writing this I realized that I might be using a term in a unique way. Depending on your particular background the word �soul� my have a variety of meanings. Therefore a definition is in order. When I use that term, I use it in the meaning of the Old Hebrew definition. Soul = the essence of the man/woman, it is what makes them unique, it what makes them who they are)

No comments:

Post a Comment