Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Friday, November 10, 2017

  I awoke this morning to a beautiful bright sunny day in the Northcountry what the locals call it anyways..(just off the east end of Lake Ontario)....so I looked up the local weather..and discovered that with the windchill, the temperature feels like 3*F.....ah the dreaded windchill......so morning walk will be postponed until this afternoon....or possibly tomorrow..
  Now don't get it twisted....I've lived in this area for 51+ years....and usually accept the cold and snow that winter brings ........but the first cold day still comes as a shock... and this mornings walk wasn't that necessary.....
  I remember a day some 40+ years ago when the actually temperature was -55*F with 50+ MPH winds..wind chill was in excess of -100*F.....frostbite and hypothermia could occur in under 1 minute..needless to say....no one went anywhere that day.......
  And then there is the snow......haven't seen any but a few random flakes as of yet but during an eight day period in '77 we got on the order of 178 +/- inches of snow........if we don't get at least 100+ inches of snow for a winter it's unusual.....fortunately with my current living arrangements the snow removal chore is taken care of for me.....
  So the obvious question is why do I chose to live here, well in the start of my sojourn here it was because my parents come up here for my dad's job......I was in college at the time and only spent summers and holidays here.......but fell in love with the area.......so I've stayed......
  Now I am aware that some might question my sanity...all I can say is get in line.......that subject has been debated by many, for many years......
( as you have noticed if you've read this toxic waste dump I call my blog before I've redone the layout....again......if this is your first trip here.......run away as quick as you can before it gets on you (hehe))

No comments:

Post a Comment