Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Friday, November 17, 2017

  In theory, by the calendar, winter begins this year December 21st and ends March 20th next year......however at least in this area......Mother Nature has lost her calendar.....I've seen significant snow fall here as early as mid-October and as late as mid-May..........we didn't get any snow last night....but there was some at the higher elevations to the east and south of my location that did...but it's been hovering around the freezing mark on the old thermometer for the last week or so....including the wind chill it's been very close a couple of times to 0*F......so despite what the calendar says...winter is upon us.....again.....
  There is an old gag that is said about this area: "we only have 3 seasons here......Winter, just was Winter, and soon will be Winter"
  The obvious question is......"Why have I put up with this as I begin the start of my 52 Winter up here?"  there are several possible reasons:
 1) I might be a masochist
 2) my elevator does not reach my top floor
 3) this is where my job was.....but I'm retired now...so discount this reason.....
 4) truth be told.....for all the hassle with the Winter weather, I just love the area and the people ( well most of the people anyways) .and besides with my present living arrangements.......dealing with the task of snow removal is someone else's problem......... 

No comments:

Post a Comment