Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Thursday, November 24, 2005

It’s been a good day, a restfully day, and the first day in weeks that the alarm clock was off. I slept until 9:30, and I feel more rested then I have been in months. Had a light snack about 11:30 (which is my normal lunch time), knowing that I would never make it to the 2:00 PM dinnertime.

Had a nice traditional thanksgiving dinner at my sister’s place, good meal and she had a dish I don’t ever remember having, scalloped onions, made basically like the traditional scalloped potatoes but with onions instead, quite enjoyable. And had a great time talking to my nephew the genius, who will be 19 in a few days and will graduate with his BS from RPI this spring. I know he views my blog from time to time (sitemeter shows a hit from rpi.edu), so I hope he’s embarrassed when he reads this.

Came home a little after 4PM, and have hung out the rest of the day. Made an omelet for supper just before survivor, and what an omelet. Now it must be stated for the record that I love omelets of many kinds maybe beyond all other forms of food. I find them to be to my palate the ultimate “comfort food”, and at the same time can be a truly unique eating experience. I love “comfort food” but on the other hand I like to “push the envelope” when it comes to both eating and cooking. I mentioned in a posting yesterday that I had found an absolutely wonderful traditional rustic Italian salami at the grocery store last night. Made an omelet with eggs (obviously) 2 in number, shallots, the afore mentioned salami, fresh grated Romano cheese, salt, pepper and capers. And served it with some pan-fried garlic toast and coffee. Frankly the best omelet I’ve ever made, well until the next one anyways. I have never used capers before and was quite happy with the first results.

The survivor tonight went the way I thought it would except that Lydia made a very serious tactically error, and I fear that she is on the “outside looking in” now. She was my top pick for second place in the game, because she was no threat to win, and tradition of the game is that the strong, quite often takes the weakest member of the alliance to the two to assure victory. Well she made an emotional choice, which the history of the game tells us that it is usually “fatal”.

Forgot to mention a long chat with the daughter last night. She has tomorrow off, and her hubby is working, so we’ve made plans to have a little lunch together. Have see little of her over the last few months as she and her man have decided to attend church else where, and although I miss them both and their contributions to the church I attend, and seeing them at least once a week I understand, and actually agree with there decision to seek their “faith” else where.

I have had a rough couple of weeks physically, elements of my job are physically demanding, and as I get older I don’t “handle” that the way I once did…particularly driving a forklift, maybe to those who have never driven one at all, or just a bit seems like a “cake” job, but the concentration involved, and the physical pounding one takes, and factoring in as much as 15-20 hours a week, dang…I’m getting too old to handle it. The lift(s) I drive are indoor lifts, weighing in at 8000 lbs, with what is referred to as cushion tires. Only problem is that they aren’t, cushioned that is, they are solid rubber wheels and on a vehicle with a solid suspension, no give, no springs no nothing. Every bump is transmitted straight up your spine. Well I had a load this week that the container I was loading was so much higher then the dock that every trip back out of the container resulted in the lift bottoming out, in the trade know as bouncing the counter weight. And I swear I feel everyone tonight.

So while I have had a great day, on the emotional/spiritual side, physically I’m hurting. I truly wish that at least one day before the end of my days I have a day where all 3 elements of life, that is emotional, spiritual, and physical, are all together on at least an even keel.

Dang I’m in novella mode tonight; I don’t think I’ve ever written a posting that actually got on to the third page of Word, until now…

Nite all, and to those in the USA I hope that your thanksgiving was a good one, and I hope you survive “shopping wars” tomorrow. I avoid “shopping wars”, I never do my Christmas shopping until the last minute, no need, with the exception of my sibs and dad, I give mall gift certificates or store gift cards to daughter/son-in-law, and assorted nieces and nephews, and if I’m really bored with the whole Christmas thing, I write checks…(hehe), the morning of our family get together.

(Trollie’s cats dang him away from the keyboard before he can complete the “great American novel)


No comments:

Post a Comment