Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Day two of the current cold…and something happened today that has rarely happened to me in almost 53 years of singing in public…first service and warm-ups before voice was fine…a little rusty up high, but no problem on the lower harmony lines…got through teaching adult Christian Ed. Class and voice was fine in second service to a point…we got to the last chorus of the last song and voice just…well…quit…I tried to sing and all I got was a coughing fit…dang…in 53 years of singing…I have never had that happen during a service or a performance…rehearsals maybe…and I few times I have passed on the performance/service because there just wasn’t any “voice” there…fortunately it was a group deal…and I am a harmony singer…one might call me a “backup” singer…so no big deal…but it is humbling…
Anyhow the N-lady did a solo in service…actually both services to day…we’re buds…she’s been singing with the team for over a year now…nice voice…a bit of a country twang…but I forgive her for that (hehe)…but has never done a solo before…4 kids and in her early 40’s but has never sung alone in public before…she started out in first service a little timid…breathed a quick pray for that sweet lady…but as she got into the music she did fine…better then fine…but I took her aside between services and told her a secret…I’ve been singing in public since 5 years old…and despite the fact that after all that time you would think that I had conquered any nervousness or “stage fright”…well think again…when I sing with the local classical choral society I pace for an hour before a concert trying to get my nerviness and maybe anticipation in check…once the music starts…once I hit that first high note…or “nail” the first hard “run”…I’m fine…but that feeling before hand…I always have…and the few times I haven’t…lord have I made a mess of it…that pre-performance jitters is just part of the deal…and you learn to live with it and do the thing regardless…
Have veggied out the rest of the day…just haven’t been hungry today…I guess it belittles the old wives tale about “feed a cold and stave a fever”…because I have had no taste for food today…a late lunch of coffee and a salad…and coffee and a jumbo English muffin with peanut butter and orange marmalade for supper…
Peanut butter is one of those weird things that you never leave childhood with…almost everyone I know that still eats that childhood staple almost invariably buys and consumes the same brand their mom bought for them as a child…

Nite all

No comments:

Post a Comment