Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Monday, January 23, 2006

Not a bad day, not a good day, just a day, a workday…dang. Change over seems to be going ok to the new computer system, web based instead of local server, and a step up to the newer version of the software…several steps up actually…I don’t like the newer version as of yet…it seems to me a bit twitchy…and a bit slower then the older version…whether that’s the change to net based, or the fact that it just isn’t the older version, or it actually is a bit twitchy…time will tell…a solid 4 and ½ hours taken out of the middle of the day with 2 out bounds…#1 took way longer then I would have like, but a split load and way more strip time then I had anticipated…load #2 should have been a “see spot run load”, one location…every thing a short run…but didn’t turn out that way…an ESL driver ( sorry English as a second language) and the barriers that that will often bring to communication, also a driver who insisted at “looking over my shoulder” as I loaded. I really hate that…I’ve loaded over the last 25+ years 1000’s of trucks and probably more then half of the refrigerated trailers…I am well aware of the California bridge laws…I know how to load a trailer so it will scale, and I am aware that you have to “pull it” and you get the fine if it’s loaded wrong but sit in the truck and let me do the job…it will be okay…

20+ years ago you could load 45000 pounds on an over the road trailer and there was no problem…but with the move to 53’ trailers and the rolling apartment sized tractors…43000 is about max…particularly for a refrier…

But when I told the driver this load might reach 42000 he had a problem…d*mn the broker we deal with…they know our loads might approach 43000, they are instructed not to send a truck that can’t take that weight…but they constantly send us truckers who don’t want to haul max weight…traffic doesn’t give two sh*ts because they don’t have to deal one to one with the drivers…well this one came in just over 41000, driver said I’m going to scale and I might be back…h*ll I knew he’d be okay…I may not be able to create world peace, I may not be able to understand the secrets of the universe…but I can load a 48 or 53 foot trailer within 1000 pounds of gross and give the driver if he has an ounce of ability the ability to scale the axles…h*ll just go up or down a couple of notches son…

A bit of Mac and cheese for supper…not really hungry…still over tired…still hoping for some time off…I need a few down days to get back to par but…

No comments:

Post a Comment