Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Not a bad workday…not a good workday…just a neutral workday…I’ll take it…relaxed…watched a little tube and headed to worship team practice…with some reluctance…I have gagged on some mucous on Sunday and had nothing in my stomach at the time and had vomited a mixture of water and stomach acid…several times…and obviously had done some damage to the throat…well the first song we did I do a descant harmony on the last verse…well not tonight…voice was strong in the lower range and not existence in the high range… as we sung loosened up a lot…by the time we got to the next to the last song I looked over at the N-lady and realized she was sing a strong alto but she has a confidence problem…had the mike at waist level…Lord give me enough voice to prove to her she’s on the money…dropped my mike…turned to her and sang a

Strong alto part…about half way through she realized that we where in sync…gave her a thumbs up and she then knew she was on…big smile and made my day…funny thing was went back to total bass on the last song…I do a bass thing on that one…a little idiot bass extra vocal on the lead in to the chorus and the leader tonight added his voice…in a tenor 2 to the lead in…normal guy had family issues and the second guy lead practice…I shot him a glance…when we were done he look at me and said I love it when you do that…the improvisation…and that’s why I sing and do music…to get the smile…the glance…the thanks…not from those that listen necessarily but from those that I sing with…make music with…makes my day…I have a solo quality voice and almost never sing solos…not that I can’t but because I don’t want to…I love ensemble singing and playing…any sized group is ok…I prefer to be the harmony singer…the harmony player…I would rather make someone else look good…give that little punch that makes the group look good and rejoice in them taking the bows then taking the bows myself…I have always been a “role-player”…the “6th man” if you will…and I take great joy in being that…the only time I have forsaken that role is when I am given no option…I am the lead high tenor with the local choral society…when informed of the role I at first said “Why Me”…give it to somebody else…not my thing…and was tersely informed that if I wanted to give the role to another I had to give my voice to another…not happening but I accept the role but do it with humility

(Trollie’s two cats drag him away from the keyboard before he writes a novella)

No comments:

Post a Comment