Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Monday, June 15, 2020

[18:15 UTC-4]
[+74*F_fair_winds:n/n/e@7 mph_humidity:33%_barometer:30.39"\/_Tonight's Low:50*F]....
[Now Playing on MadTrollie:[Sink the Bismarck]:]....
   It was a very nice day today here in the old Northcountry of New York State..originally I hadn't intended to walk until tomorrow..but when making my first meal discovered I was out of a couple of items I wanted to use for my second meal and with the weather being a nice sunny day with temperatures in the upper 60s..and what we up here would call a gentle breeze..only 9 miles an hour..it's got to be over 15 miles per hour before we even refer to it as wind..and as I was checking my budget realized that today was the day that I needed to go to the ATM and get my "10 day walking around money"..and by adjusting my course only slightly I can go to the ATM on the way to Aldi..some bananas..a bottle of kalamata olives..a bottle of preserved artichoke hearts..3 bottles of fruit flavored sparkling water..a bag of green onions and a package of two small wedges of New  York style cheesecake..and back to  my rooms....
   Have spent the rest of the day in my rooms save for the brief walk to the lobby for my afternoon toffee coffee..on the way back J [one of the other residents] was outside smoking and taking in the sun..and we had a short chat....
   Not sure why I remembered today..but the semester I was attending Houghton College I had come home for Thanksgiving..on my way back to school..in my '65 Bug convertible..top speed maybe 70 mph..down hill..with a tailwind..I took I-81 south to Syracuse and then I-90 west towards Rochester..where I would leave the interstate for the Southern Tier..as I came down the ramp there was a line of cars and a spot opened up and I side into the middle of a pack of 60s era muscle cars..GTOs..Roadrunners..and the like..so to the west we went..at 75 mph and I didn't even have my foot to the floor..just got pulled by the draft..so in my rear-view mirrors I see a State Trooper car coming..it paced each car in line..when they pulled up to me..two in the car..I nodded to the passenger..he nodded back..then made a gesture as in "how"..my replay was a shrug of the shoulders "I don't know"..oh..long hair..a Fu Manchu mustache..and an American Flag sweatshirt..figured I was toast..we were on stretch of road where you could see for miles..we were catching a pickup pulling a camper..at maybe 50 mph and swiveling a little..the Trooper left us alone and pulled over the camper..and we went flying by..made great time getting back to school..oh I failed to mention I was still on my probationary license....
   The hour approaches and it time for me to say..nite all..[before I write a novella]....

No comments:

Post a Comment