Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Sunday, October 4, 2020

 *[17:31 UTC-4]*[+60*F_cloudy_winds:south@6 mph_humidity:49%_barometer:30.11"\/_overnight lo:47*F]*[showers in the forecast from 20:00 thru 23:00 this evening]*[Tonight on Madtrollie*[Bach]*[some new selections have been added to this playlist as well..mostly choral works]*]*

   I was thinking today about some of the crazier things that have happened to me in my life..and it's a very long list..../....this one occurred in the fall of '71..at the time I was attending a college in the southern tier of New York State..south and west of Rochester in the Genesee Valley..since it was 49 years ago I have no idea why I went home for the weekend..but was headed back to school Sunday afternoon in my "65 VW bug convertible..1300 cc engine and a top speed of 70 mph..downhill with a tail wind..headed down I-81 toward Syracuse..and the interchange with I-90..got my ticket at the toll booth & headed down the on ramp and there was a line of about 8 or 9 cars..all '60s era US made muscle cars..GTOs..Roadrunners..et al..well a space opened up in the middle of the line of cars and off we go head west at about 75 mph..[speed limit was 65 mph]..and I'm just riding the draft..didn't even have my foot to the floor..so there's a long straight stretch of road just before you reach Rochester and the exit where I'd got off to head south..looked in the side view mirror and here came a New York State Trooper car..oy vey..pacing every car inline..me thinks if they pulled anyone over it would be me..because my car didn't belong..in size &/or horsepower..well two Troopers in the car..passenger looks at me and nods..I nod back..he turns to the driver and then back and makes a gesture as if to ask "How"..and I shrugged as if to say "No idea"..he laughed..and they took off..there was a pickup pulling a camper ahead of us..going maybe 60 mph but weaving a little..and the Troopers pulled him over and let us go flying by..[from what I could  see all the drivers of the cars were college aged..probably heading back to school just like me]..anyways made the trip probably a 1/2 hour quicker than/usual..and got great gas mileage..apparently at least that one time there was safety in numbers..../....still a few tasks as/always before I can  put my online day to "bed" for the day and then follow suit..ergo..nite all....

No comments:

Post a Comment