Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Friday, July 27, 2018

(08:21 UTC-4)
(+68*F....partly cloud)
( a "Lord Peter Wimsey" episode )
   A very nice morning...although there is a threat of rain most of the day......turning hotter in the afternoon......have no reason to walk today......but with the nice weather this morning may have to come up with an excuse to walk anyways......
   One of my favorite interests......is etymology......when I took Koine Greek in college, we did several what Doc Brown called "word studies".....the origins and changing meanings of words AKA etymology.......in writing a post to FB this morning i used the word "fond" and decided to check the roots of the word, which led me to check out "fun" as well......the old meaning of "fond" in late middle English meant "an foolish infatuation" and the old meaning of "fun" in middle English was "make a fool of, or a hoax"......and that made me recall an old farmer I knew as a kid would tell you a "tall tale".....and then say "I'm just funin' you".......oh bye the bye "tall tale" meaning folk-lore.........apparently coined by William Thoms in 1846 in the USA......did I say that etymology was an interest of mine.....more like an obsession.....me thinks........
    

No comments:

Post a Comment