Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Sunday, July 14, 2019

[14:25 UTC-4]
   No weather report or music/movie this morning....just wanted to get this down while still fresh in my mind....decided to take an early walk this morning....need some things to added to my gorp [aka: trail mix]....but I decided to walk a loop I sometimes walk be for going to  Ollie's and Dollar General....stepped out the back door and there were 4 Canada Geese....chopping away at the grass....pretty sure it's one of the families I've been watching....boy the young ones are getting big....then down the hill and around the one pond in front of the plaza [where Dollar General and Ollie's are located] 14 more Canada Geese....2 adults and 12 teenagers....got to be another of the families I've been watching....12 in a hatch I've only seen once in the 8 summers I've lived here and these 12 are them....one of the "teenagers" was limping....could tell for sure because the grass they were in was about 4" high....but suspect he had a misshaped foot....I recall years ago one of my warehouse men used to feed the flying rats [aka:seagulls]....one day I arrived to see him feeding them and one of the seagulls an adult....was missing a foot....but seemed not to notice....just hopped around like nothing was wrong....only I do worry for the goose's survivability.....
[22:05 UTC-4]
[+66*F....clear....winds s/s/w@3 mph....humidity 87%....barometric pressure: on the rise]
[nice weather through Tuesday.....than T=storms/rain predicted through Friday AM]
[Now Playing: Haydn's "The Creation" [link]]
   Decided to walk the "loop" again in the early evening....and as I past the lawn behind a no  longer used bank branch there were well over 20 Canada Geese feeding....probably some if not all of the 3 families I've been watching since April....and when I got back to my rooms decided that it was such a nice evening that I grabbed my folding chair and sat out on the back lawn for awhile....was entertained by the antics of a very small rabbit....must be one of this years brood....cute little rascal....Although I technically live in a city....howbeit just barely....in 2 ways....population is around 27'K [and 25K' is the point where calling a place a city is appropriate]....& I live on the west edge not that far from the city line....but it's character is more that of a small town....that got bigger....in the late 1800's early 1900's was around 50K....or so I'm told....I'm not that old....but when moved here in the mid-1960's it was still about 30'K+....but most of the industry that drove the economy as long since departed....but it is the county seat....and the retail/service center for the county....located about 70 miles north of Syracuse....up I-81....in fact if I walk out the back door I can hear the traffic on I-81....

No comments:

Post a Comment