Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

(12:41 PM UTC-4)
(+41*F..w/wind chill +29*F..rain has stopped,but winds out of the WSW @30 MPH)
(Bach: Mass in B minor)
  I was always musical vocally, and while in grade school sang in both school choirs, kids choirs, and duets with my sis...but started piano at a young age....when I entered Junior high started taking French Horn lessons from the band teacher ( hereafter referred to as Mr A ).....made band at the end of 7th grade.....but also sang with Junior High Chorus, and two church choirs....no conflict with band.....but in 9th grade i would have moved up to Senior High Chorus, and became first chair horn in the band, and they rehearsed at the same time, and although some of the "lower chairs" were allowed to split time between the two..I was not....so I chose band ( was still sing with 2 choirs at church, and the church "orchestra" )
  At the start of my Senior year because of the loss of musicians to graduation, band dropped from playing grade 6 music to grade 5.......and I probably could have sight read the music and played in a concert, however I also was playing in school with a woodwind quintet.....and I wanted to continue that.....so I hatched a plot...I went to the chorus director and asked if I could be in chorus 2 days a week..he agreed but asked if I had talked to Mr A yet....I said no I just wanted to get your approval first....I said it's either 2 days chorus and 3 days band...or 5 days chorus....chorus was singing some Bourque pieces which I wanted to be part of........well Mr A agreed...
  However it did present some difficulties.....at the Senior High Christmas concert, 5 groups were performing and I was in 4 of them....each wearing different outfits......many runs to the boys locker room.....but it was fun, and I enjoyed every minute....my Senior year between church and school I sang or played with 7 different groups....and that didn't count Sectional band and All-County chorus..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment