Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Thursday, January 10, 2019

(20:13 UTC-5)
(+15*F....cloudy)
(Now Playing: "NCIS" re-runs on USA Network)
   The snow stopped right around noon local time....and since then the temperature has been dropping like a stone....right now the wind-chill is -1*F and about 8 tomorrow morning the prediction is for a temperature of -1*F....and a -14+F wind-chill....now when I worked sometimes I had to spend time in temperatures and/or wind-chills of -25*F or even colder....but I was younger than and being well paid....the only time in my 50+ years I've lived in this area that everything shutdown one day because of cold weather....the temperature was -55*F....with winds of 50 mph....and a wind-chill in-excess of -100*F....according to the authorities....frostbite and hypothermia could set in in less than a minute....and it was literally unsafe to go outside and I didn't....even now I'll walk if the temperature and/or the wind-chill is in single digits....but below zero I'll wait until it warms up ( if single digit temperatures can ever really be called warm )....but as I right this I have at least 3 weeks of food in the pantry....I always "stock-up" every Fall....since I no longer drive and depend on walking....cold temperatures (as above) and deep snow or icy conditions are just to hazardous for me to consider walking....I walk with a cane and have balance issues....
(Note: have added two pictures in the footer from the Blizzard of '77 that effected our area....see the link to the Blizzard of '77....I live in the section in the article under "Northern New York")

No comments:

Post a Comment