Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Thursday, September 6, 2018

(12:29 UTC-4)
(+74*F...cloudy)
(now playing: My Mix (link)
   Now playing a very eclectic mix, but it defines my taste in music, and everything else about me for that matter, a bit of umpapa, a dash of polka, a pinch of light classical, and of course some Handel.....and even a bit of bagpipes....sorry about the ads....but it off YouTube......
   The weather today is far removed from yesterday.....pleasant, nice breeze, still a tad humid....it's still summer.....but the rain overnight has had a big effect on the temperature....
  Enjoyable morning walk, most everything I got this morning was for "stock" except for the tin of Danish style butter cookies I forgot was the reason I went out yesterday.....oh and the required morning ice cream.....got two more bags of horehound candies, and another bag of cashews..but both of these I bought at Ollie's...one rule of shopping there is if you see it and like buy a couple 'cuss you probably won't see it again...here to day and gone tomorrow fits what is an outlet for overruns and buy outs.....really no fixed stock.....but the prices are great.....
   In my defense for forgetting the cookies the other day I was distracted by the horehound candies.....which is one thing I've noticed about growing old, it's not precisely my memory that's the problem, I've always forgot things, but it's that I get distracted more easily then I used to.....if I was concentrating on something I could "go into the zone" as it were and not even notice anything else....
   Case in point: 4th year in college, running cross country....with a severe case of shin splints in my left leg....race day, home course, 4.6 miles.....maybe .6 of a mile relatively flat......and one brutal .5 of mile gradually up hill, about a mile and a half to the finish, and I was hurting....but knew at what we call the oak tree turn (guess why it was called that)..coach would be there with instructions......I was using all the mental strength I had to force my body to keep moving.....but I had to see coach and hear him, made the turn and heard....." you need to get two and take Karl with you".....Karl was on my 6, didn't see or hear any one else except coach and Karl.......turned my head and said to Karl "stay tucked" and speed up to mile pace.....and with 300 yds to go dropped the hammer....full out sprint ( even after a long run I could always find a sub-4:30 mile.) caught the 2nd guy in the last 100 yds and Karl stayed tucked...we won by 1 point.....afterwards our scorekeeper came up while I was hanging on to a tree, left leg in the air waiting for the equipment manager to cut off the tape which ran from just above the ankle to just blow the knee.....she said "how....you look near dead at the turn"......I replied "You were at the turn".....then she "right next to coach" me "was anyone there"  she with a strange look "about 20" me "making noise" she now really worried "of course"....truth be told I never saw or heard  anyone but coach and Karl......I might add she and I had just started dating......she insisted on cutting the tape off over my objections.....the leg swelled up and turned black and blue and she threw up......that basically was the end of that relationship 

No comments:

Post a Comment