Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Friday, September 14, 2018

(19:14 UTC-4)
(+77*F.....sunny)
(Haydn: Mass no 11 in D minor (Lord Nelson (link)
   A nice day....high 70s but low humidity, and a nice breeze, just a short walk around mid-day, really could have waited a couple of days but the weather was too nice, not to walk
   The Haydn Mass now playing in the original was called "Mass in Time of Trouble", I was fortunate enough to sing this piece several years ago with the local choral society....had a monster tenor....very difficult.....and I always loved a vocal challenge....and this one fit the bill....before age and essential tremors did I number on my voice.....I sang with several different size and styles of music, and started young, although I have only vague memories of the event, I sang a duet with my sister in church at 5 years old, and already sang harmony.....although I remember learning to read, I don't remember learning how to read music.....also I was blessed with perfect pitch.....which actually can be a pain, if someone is singing or playing off-key.....it's very irritating....but when younger I also played French Horn....and being able to "hear" a note of a certain pitch before you play it is a big advantage.....of all the music I've sung or played I've always been most fond of the music of the Baroque period.....the music of Bach, Handel, et al.....and in particular the liturgical  music, the mass, the oratorio, the cantata.....but also have sung and or play pieces from Gregorian Chant thru contemporary Christian, and most everything in between.....Music has always been a place for me to enjoy. to relax, to renew, and yes sometimes to hide..... 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment