Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Friday, December 15, 2017

(Haydn's "Lord Nelson Mass" is playing in the background)
  First meal today a simple salad, and a piece of the Chinese BBQ chicken on stick from the Chinese invasion of yesterday (okay I got delivery)....I'm not a huge fan of chicken other than Buffalo Wings...and have never ordered the BBQ chicken before but I will again.....
  Took a late walk to the local food market......needed salad greens.and bread...got the greens but they didn't have the rolls I wanted.....oh well.but did pick up some bottled anchovies, and a small grinder of pink sea-salt, a very nice finishing salt
  Much happened after I posted yesterday......hence the presence of the "Lord Nelson Mass" as background music.......although this piece of choral music, Haydn at his best IMHO..it has a real bear of a tenor part....but it's also one of my favorite pieces to sing....it is commonly called the "Lord Nelson Mass"..and some mistakenly think it's a requiem mass with it is not.the original title was "Missa in Angustiis" ( I think spell check blew a fuse on Angustiis)........English translation "Mass for troubled times"......I got news after I had posted yesterday which caused me to be plunged in to a very reflective mood.I actually tried to write it down  last night late.....but my thoughts were too confused....
  I got word over a group chat that one of my old school mates had passed away........on one hand not surprising as in the next calendar year all of my old mates from school will turn 70 (IIRC).....certainly he is not the first...but I had lost track of my classmates for 50 years....my family moved away just after graduation.....and I never re-connected with any of them until just a little less than 2 years ago when I joined Facebook....and the funny thing is I joined to be able to connect with a group site that was about a game I was playing......the fact that I connected with several old school mates was basically an accident.....one which I'm  glad for.....but this is the first time I've found out the same day...
  Although I really didn't know him well.....we had mutual friends in common..we where not  in very many classes or  the same extracurriculars but his passing triggered a flood of memories.....which I have managed now after the initial shock had worn off to put them is some reasonable order....
( Faure's Requiem now playing....also one of my  favs) 
  As this post is verging on a novella, I will not relate any of those memories now
                                        REST IN PEACE EV 

No comments:

Post a Comment