Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Monday, December 18, 2017

( tonight as I write I'm listening to a Hornblower episode on YouTube)
  I really enjoyed them on A&E and was pleasantly surprise when I discovered them on YouTube....and I truly enjoy being able to see them again (although tonight I'm listening while I write this post)..........before I watched them on A&E I had read all 11 of the series of books on the mythical Horatio Hornblower.(over and over if truth be told)........what could be called historic fiction.......he, that is C.S.Forester the author places the fictional character Hornblower in the events of the conflict between the English and the French during the Napoleonic period of European history.....Forester did the same thing in his historical/fiction work "Sink the Bismarck".......and to a lesser extent in his book "The African Queen".......as to the A&E series they did use what one might call literary license..but enjoyable none the less....
  Has been another quiet day......not that I had any need to go out..but I had planned not to walk for the next 2 days because the weather was forecast as not too good.....after a real cold snap.... the temperature today and tomorrow is or will be in the mid-30s F.with the so called winter mix..that is snow/ice/rain none of which is right for a nice walk....
  Well it's a week until Christmas, for the last few years I have spend them alone.....my choice.....the over commercialize holiday that Christmas has become.....I will have none of it......I prefer to think about the Advent stories without the secular additions......
( now playing the Christmas portion of "Handel's Messiah" w/ the Robert Shaw choral)
  Over the years I sung parts of the Messiah...both the choral music and a few of the arias and recitatives.....but a few years ago got the chance to sing in a performance of the Christmas portion ( basically Book I.with a few add on from the other books)....both a challenge.and a lot of fun..but also a very spiritual experience.....
  I guess what I really miss is the "Old-Fashion Christmas"......and the sacred/liturgical music that is traditionally used in the observance of Advent....but thanx to YouTube.....I can enjoy the inspirational music of the period in my own rooms.......
  I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy (not surprisingly spell check blew another gasket over fuddy duddy)......I yam what I yam & that's all I yam...( spell check didn't have a problem with yam.but then it figured I meant a sweet potato)..to quote the famous philosopher Popeye the Sailor..
  I need to draw this collection of random thoughts to an end....

No comments:

Post a Comment