Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Friday, December 22, 2017

( now playing in another window all 4 of Mozart's horn concertos + a fragment of an unfinished piece..soloist: Barry Tuckwell)
  Both my daughter and I played the French horn, although to be honest she was much better then I.....she was good enough to study Music/Music Ed. at Syracuse University, school of music on an academic full ride, the horn being her major instrument..I played in High School, she has a good voice but as she says "My voice is not my instrument of choice".........and as much as I enjoyed horn, I prefer my instrument of choice to be my voice.....
  but speaking of my daughter she is as I quite a scamp, she with 2 others were questioned by campus security because they were sledding down the hill behind the music building.....on cafeteria trays during the first snow fall of the year..fortunately the head of the  music school intervened .....
  When she was about 3 1/2 she was sitting on my lap watching the first Superman Movie /Christopher Reeves ( she was born in late '77) and at the start of the movie a date is flashed but no sound, and she said "Look daddy June 1939".now for a awhile we had suspected that she was able to read but that was the first time we knew for sure...now in the early '80s you didn't sit before a computer learning to read, you went to the library.....but to check books out rather then letting her mom or I do it she wanted her own library card..remember she was only 3 1/2 at the time..but to get her card she had to sign her own name....in cursive...and her name was a long one she practiced for a week or so and got her card,....now I was not present at this event (working) she took her books to the check out desk which was taller then she was and the clerk told her "I'm sorry but you have to wait for your mother"  my D pulled her library card out of her pocket and said "This is me"......never had a problem after that...
  She always needed to be precise..while she and I were sitting on a bench in the local children's  zoo, 2 couples of teens were walking thru the zoo and the one girl commented "Look at the squirrel stealing the duck's corn"......my D marched up to the girl looked up and said "That is not a squirrel, that is a chipmunk.you can tell by the black stripe on its' side".....and marched back to the bench at which point I was seriously thinking about hiding under it.....but I heard her boyfriend say "Listen to the kid she's right"...... There are far more stories I could tell about her escapades but I think that is enough for now
  It's snowing again.and maybe for the next 2 days as well....maybe 8" to 12"......plus just to make things interesting a little winter mix (snow/ice).......I'm reminded of my mom this time of year..how my mom loved a white Christmas..looks like this year she would have been pleased...

No comments:

Post a Comment