Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

( one of my YouTube mixes that is mostly the Hastings College Choir.......acappella arrangements of old hymns for the most part, as I get further into this mix there is a bit of the choir of King's College and other groups)
  I was seriously considering walking tonight late after the traffic has abated......except for lunch at the "all you can eat" Chinese buffet w/ my brother and his wife an their son.haven't been out of the rooms for almost a week...so looked at the weather.......the next 9 days the high temperature for the day will be in the single digits *F and the over night lows dipping in to the -*F.....but when I looked at the wind direction it was varying one side or the other from the north, and mostly a tad west of north.......in plain geographic terms the wind was coming off of Hudson Bay.....in the winter that means it's going to be cold.....our winter weather really is controlled by the wind and two bodies of water westerly winds over Lake Ontario and we get "lake effect snow"......winds from the north or NNW off Hudson Bay and we're in the deep freeze..But the Summers are great......we have 3 seasons here: "Just was Winter...soon will be Winter..and Winter".......But the Summers are great.......did I mention that the Summers were great..and they are but sometimes it feels like our year swings on the winter........you never hear people talking about what kind of Spring...Summer.......Autumn we might have before that season(s) come.....but even during the Summer you can hear people asking what does the "Old Farmer's Almanac" say about the weather this winter......In case you aren't familiar with the "Old Farmer's Almanac" (LINK)
  From the tenor of the above ramblings you may get the idea that we are a bit obsessive up here about winter......but you'd be very wrong to think that most people in "The Northcountry" (what the locals call it) are a bit obsessive when it comes to winter.....truth be told most people up here are totally obsessed with winter........and I do mean  TOTALLY.....
  I was never that obsessed with it, but because of my job for many years I was forced to deal with the inconvenience of it.......I guess in many ways I saw it as an obstacle that needed to be dealt with severely....for years I ran a shipping/receiving/warehouse department in a small local factory......and because of heavy snows or extreme cold ( wind chills in the -40*F range are some years quite common)........I saw winter as a challenge.......but now at 70 years old and retired.....I just view winter as a giant pain in the my gluteus maximus muscles ( I get a great charge out of spell check it did't recognize "gluteus maximus".........however it does recognize both "butt" and "ass"......oy vey)......the funny thing is when I entered said "gluteus maximus" originally I actual thought I had spelled it correctly and I had.......and then I saw the red underline.......but then I remember that I had taken Latin in High School and apparently spell check hadn't......
  Enough is Enough.....I'm out of here.....

No comments:

Post a Comment