Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

(The Best of Gershwin can be heard softly playing in the background as I write this missive)
  Today is a day of remembering and reflection....I played in the school marching band for 5 years and we marched every year in the annual "Village of Alden" Memorial Day Parade .....it was kind of a big deal......marched down the main drag of the village to the cemetery ......to preform the traditional "Taps" to honor the fallen vets buried there........and then back to the village bandstand to hear someone recite "Lincoln's Gettysburg's  Address".........
  In the flood of Facebook greetings from my friends on my birthday, or as one of my friend a GOT fan reminded me..my naming day......I was reminded of the gag my day played with his age...the year he turned 40 he began to celibate anniversaries of his 39th birthday.and eventually it was the anniversaries of the 39th anniversary of his 39th birthday.....that being said I have decided to take a page from good old Abe and have decided to from this date forward  to express my age in the form he used in that famous address.....instead of saying 90 years ago..he said 4 score and 10 years ago......
  So on the day of my birth (or my name day if you would prefer) I declared my age as 3 score and 10
  So far a quiet day other then the afore mentioned fact that my Facebook timeline is blowing up with B-day wishes.....but sis called and I will be going to dinner somewhere about 5:30 with her and her hubby......we had a good laugh when I told her I didn't care where we went but let my bro-in-law chose..and quipped that if he chose we'd probably end up at a local diner/truck-stop.....which come to think of it wouldn't be a bad idea.....they have really good "comfort food" 
( and yes I have messed with the layout again ( or maybe the fact that I am perpetually messing with the layout would be more correct)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment