Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Sunday, October 28, 2018

(17:01 UTC-4)
(+40*F....cloudy)
(Now Playing: "Hornblower" "The Frogs and the Lobsters"(link))
   It's rain most of the day, and is predicted to start again very soon and rain through 20:00 tomorrow local time....so I took a quick walk to Aldi to pick up a few things....when I looked out this morning it was indeed raining....but there was evidence on the ground that we had had a dusting of snow over night....it's not uncommon for us to see the first snowfall in late October....but....I remember one Halloween when my daughter was a kid....(she'll be 41 this December)....they had to trudge through a foot of snow "Trick or Treating".....as I said not uncommon but....still an event I don't look forward to....
   Although I am a Christian....family has been back 3 or 4 generations....in fact my college education was in part in the field of biblical studies....from a very conservative Baptist college....but being that my roots are in Europe, primarily the Rhineland and East Prussia....if you look back beyond the 3 and 4 generation many of the names of my forebears are Ashkenazim.....and in fact the religion was not passed down....but certain Yiddish words were and were quite commonly used in family conversation....In fact my forbears on my dad's side came from what was then the East Prussian city of Danzig...it's now the Polish city of Gdansk....so my genetic origins are mixed at best....but I don't seem to have what might be called a western mind set....I don't think in either/or....but in both/and....and most times find my answers to something in the middle of the two opposing points of view....when liberals call my point of view too conservative....and conservatives on the same issue think I'm too liberal....I figure I got it just about right....

No comments:

Post a Comment