Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

[21:15 UTC-5]
[+13*F....+1*F w/wind-chill, partly cloudy....wings out of the North/West at 10 mph]
[Now Playing: Holst...."The Planets" [link]]
   I felt like listening to Gustav Holst's "The Planets" tonight and went looking in  my quite extensive classical music bookmarks and discovered or rather didn't discover it there....had apparently never bookmarked the whole piece....so off to Youtube and it's search function....and I  found a recording of a performance recorded in 1971 by the Boston Symphony Orchestra....a recording that I had years ago first on vinyl and then cassette and finally a CD....always my fav recording of the piece....which I'm listening to as I right this post....and have bookmarked it and "filed it away" so I don't need to go looking for it again....that is if I can remember where in my many bookmarks I put it....
   I walked this AM when the temperature was still in the single digits and the wind-chill was below zero....could  have waited til afternoon when it was marginally warm but it was a bright sunny day when I walked....and somehow it really didn't feel that cold at all....besides....the walk I was making means I have to cross Arsenal Street....not only one of the busiest in the small  city....if not the busiest at time....and the 30 mph city speed limit is basically treated as a suggestion which virtually all of the drivers choose to ignore....add in the distraction of the cellphone....and crossing the street can prove a challenge....I only cross at the designated and mark crosswalk and only when the "walk light" is on and some days I feel like a matador avoiding the onrushing bull....or SUV....
   Still need to walk in the other direction but probably will wait until Thursday or Friday....when the temperature will be in the high 20's F to mid 30's F....and again take my chances crossing the street....which begs the question "Why did the gimpy, grumpy. old Trollie cross the street....because some dummkopf put where I want to go on the wrong side of it"....IMNSHO....    

No comments:

Post a Comment