Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

[17:40 UTC-4]
[+71*F_fair_tonight's Lo:+46*F_winds:northeast_humidity:32%_barometer:30.26"\/_Wednesday Hi/Lo:+72*F/+48*F_sunny]....[Now Playing on MadTrollie:<[M.A.S.H.]>]....
   It was a beautiful day here but I behaved myself and didn't walk..well not very far anyways..this afternoon I grab my chair and made tracks for the back lawn and as I got outside there were a pair of Canada Geese munching on the fresh Spring grass..and were a tad annoyed at my arrival..so rather then go to my usual spot..just sat right outside the door and they settled back down..the male keeping watch and the female munching down on the grass..I've seen this scenario before..and with any kind of luck in little while they will be joined by a bunch of little fuzz balls..I sat there watching for quite awhile when something caught my attention in my paraphernalia vision and there also enjoying the Spring grass was a fat little woodchuck..and I just sat there enjoying the weather and watching the geese and the woodchuck..well it's what we rural northern boys call a groundhog [link]..In my youth I made some extra spending money removing them from a couple farmers fields with the help of a single shot 22 rifle..their holes in farmer's fields can brake a cow's leg if the step in it..and later we got permission to hunt some posted land by clearing out a few chucks and an old barn infested with pigeons..one of the species up here referred to as flying rats..but shotguns were used for that eviction....a great ground for hunting rabbits and a very good stand of hardwoods just full of squirrels....was pulling in to hunt one day and a a state trooper..stopped by.."You boys know this land is posted" said he..I showed him the note from the the owner..he knew the guy apparently..and asked "How"..said I "do you see any woodchucks or pigeons around here anymore" he just grinned and said "have a good day boys"..and yes..woodchucks and pigeons are good eatin'....I never shot any thing I didn't eat..I have no time or respect for "trophy hunters"..no time atall....
   It's that time again so will take my leave..nite all....

No comments:

Post a Comment