Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Monday, May 25, 2020

[17:43 UTC-4]
[+81*F_partly cloudy_Tonight's Lo:+66*F_winds:w/s/w@8 mph_humidity:57%_barometer:30.04"\/]....
[Now Playing on MadTrollie:[Lt Ellis of Shado];]....
   It was a beautiful afternoon so decided to take a walk..but decided that I really didn't want or need for that matter ant thing from the stores..will probably make that walk either tomorrow or Wednesday..so decided to walk a couple of laps around the hotel on the lawns and  parking lots..figure a lap is approximately 3/16th of a mile..and I back tracked a little..got my afternoon toffee coffee and then decided to run up to the bank for my "10 day walking around money" and check the balance on my checking..got a statement today but it didn't show this months direct deposit of my SSI check..but the statement was dated the day it would have arrived and won't have been posted until the next day..and as I surmised it had arrived..on the way back when through the lobby and paid my rent for the up coming month....
   During my walk happened to pass the veggie garden that the family who owns the hotel has been working on and they were planting today..they live in the hotel..and are from India so I expect that chilies will be grow..but it reminded me of many years ago my family did the something every Memorial Day..although in those days it always fell on the 30th of May..now a Monday holiday....
   We lived at the time about 20 miles to the east of Buffalo New York in Erie county..in a rural area..mostly dairy farms..now my dad was a core-room foreman in a foundry on the western side of Buffalo..and commuted back and forth during the working week..and every Memorial Day we would plant are veggie garden probably 40' x 100'..we also had a chicken coop w/a dozen hens..eggs and when the quit laying they would end up in the stew/soup pot..the task of weeding the garden was done by all of the family members..unfortunately the job of gathering eggs..no not that bad but mucking out the old straw and adding new fell to me..sis had a feather allergy..I'm sure it was real but at the time I regarded it as quite convenient..a very smelly task....

No comments:

Post a Comment