Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Friday, May 1, 2020

[17:08 UTC-4]
[+51*F_cloudy_winds@9 mph_humidity:94%_barometer:29.76"/\_Tonight's Lo:+40*F]....
[Now Playing:>on BBC America>"'The Godfather" I & II>]....
   There is an old adage here abouts that if you don't like the weather..wait 15 minutes and it will probably change..and probably it will get worse..based on the last forecast for today's weather last night I had know intent of walking today..high winds and rain most of the day..well for once the change was for the better..it did rain a little early..but the wind was one side or the other of 10 mph most of the day..and up here that's consider just a nice breeze..I live about 20 miles "as the crow flies"from the east end of Lake Ontario..and an absolute calm day is extremely rare..so decided to at least take the walk to Price Chopper and the convenience store..so walked just before 09:00..just the usual fare..peppers..garlic..shallots..some pre-cooked sea food..a bottle of Gatorade..and a can of oil packed tuna..I really dislike the water packed tuna..grew up with the oil packed and prefer it..and then a stop at the convenience store...and back  to my rooms....
   The weather continued to improve so I decided to go to Aldi as well..again just the normal fare..bananas et al..but also a can of french style green beans..so now I'm set for 4 or 5 days and unless something comes up I intend to stay close to  my rooms...
   Back in high school band we were practicing a transcription of Bernstein's "Overture to Candide"..a wicked difficult 1st & 2nd french horn part in the ending..so my 2nd K and I spent a couple of days after school working on it and we got stone cold right on..then next day the piece disappeared from the fold..when we asked the band director he said he'd pulled it because the clarinets couldn't get their parts..I knew it wasn't the 1st..we were in a woodwind quintet together..an excellent musician..had to be the 3rds..so the last 3rd sat about 6 feet from me..I did the math and put Xs on the stage floor for all five horns to aim the bells on a very loud piece we were playing..so the sound bounced off the floor and under the chair of the last clarinetist..you could see his chair and him vibrating..I swear there was no way he could hear himself play..well the point was made..next day a piece appeared in the folder with a great horn line in it..the funny part of the our 5th horn was the poor clarinetist older brother..I think he enjoyed the prank just a little to much..but it had it's desired affect..If a piece got pulled that we had worked hard on..the next day a piece would appear with a great horn line....

No comments:

Post a Comment