Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Saturday, May 23, 2020

[17:41 UTC-4]
[+79*F_partly cloudy_winds:north@11 mph_humidity:29%_barometer:30.03"\/_tonight's Lo:+56*F]....
[Now Playing on MadTrollie:[The Mix]:]....
   I had needed a couple of items from both Price Chopper and the convenience store..and had a couple of hours between actions I wanted to take on the "live games" i play..so decided to go this morning..but failed to factor into the decision that Monday was Memorial Day here in the USA and this weekend every years is the start of the Summer season..there are a lot of people not from this area who own camps [what we Northcountry folk call cottages]..both on Lake Ontario, the St Lawrence River and other lakes in the region..and this weekend is traditionally the time that they  come up and open the camps for the Summer..and factor in the delays in the grocery stores necessitated by the mandatory cleaning between customers at the checkout line..what I thought would be a quick in and out..oy vey..should have packed a lunch..some peppers..shallots..garlic..a package of pre-cooked and breaded shrimp..and with great relief discovered that they hadn't stopped stocking my favorite pre-made burritos..but had simply been out of them..all I want is a medium size beef and bean burrito..no cheese..not heavily spiced..now I do add my own cheese..good cheese..and spice to my tastes..and yes the process does include hot sauce..I love spicy foods..unfortunately spicy foods don't always love me..ergo..I want your basic burrito which I can modify my way..and have to date only found one brand the "fits the bill"....
  Originally Memorial Day [originally called Decoration Day] was started In 1868 in order to honor the veterans from the American Civil War..and from 1868 until 1970 was celebrated on May 30th..before it was changed to the 4th Monday in May..it was the day that we always planted our veggie garden when I was a kid..and while part of the school band participated in parades and cemetery services honoring the veterans from all wars..My dad and my four uncles all served in World War II..and all are gone now....

No comments:

Post a Comment