Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Monday, February 19, 2018

(10:02 UTC-5)
(+41*F)
(Brahms: "a German Requiem")
  Rain is predicted not only by the weather channel but by my right knee with its'  "singing" of the chant it always sings when it's going to rain........not quite sure why....but my hypothesis is that it is my old injury(s) reacting to a drop in barometric pressure...
  Not exactly sure why but was in a nostalgic mood yesterday and went looking on Youtube for the music of "The Righteous Brothers".....found their greatest hits.......and one thing lead to another and I went down the proverbial rabbit hole of days past and landed on a piece of music I had played not only in my high school band, but had also played in in Area Band......which I auditioned for my senior.year..and another trip to Youtube to see if I could find a video......and sure enough there it was..
  The piece is "The Universal Judgement"......but I kind of think of it as two pieces....it is much like what used to be called in the Baroque period a "concerto grosso" were each group of instrument had a solo part.....the reason I think of it the way I do is in area band I played the 4th horn part, and in school band the 1st horn part.....sometimes the 1st is playing but not the 4th and vise versa, but a great piece of music regardless of what part you play.......plus the fact that in area there was a full symphonic band, 100+ players.....our school band maybe 50 players..and the music takes on a different feel depending on the numbers per part....just in case your interested...The Universal Judgement.....there are pieces I prefer played or sung by a small group and others where I like the same piece played by a huge ensemble and sometimes I like both equally......but for different reasons..in the small groups you hear every part....it's light even ethereal........with the large group you get the power of the piece....and sometimes it's just the mood I'm in at the time....

No comments:

Post a Comment