Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Sunday, February 11, 2018

(12:21 AM UTC -5)
(+23*F...+12*F...w/wind chill.....)
(Beethoven Symphonie #3)
  It's reasonably calm weatherwise at present, but looking at the radar projection for later today just passed noon, there is a band of the dreaded "winter mix" in our future.....rain/snow/freezing rain....oy vey.....good thing I walk last evening.....
  Yes I'm still up.....took a couple of naps yesterday....and TCM showed the 1953 adaptation of Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar" late yesterday that just ended.....among all I've posted here of late...I have neglected to mention my love of the Shakespeare plays in general...and the tragedies in particular   ......I used one of my few electives in college to take a course in "The Works of Shakespeare"......which I enjoyed very much..but one of my papers kind of got me in "dutch" with the class and the instructor.....
  There were 9 of us in the class 7 were women...plus the instructor was also a woman.....and the other guy...well he didn't make waves.....we assigned to write a paper on who was the villain and who was the hero in "Macbeth".......when the papers were read, except for me all including the instruction came to the conclusion that Macbeth was the villain and various what I thought were minor characters as the hero.....Macduff was the one  most mentioned as the hero.....but as I read the play several times, Macbeth was the hero.....a tragic hero for sure.....but hero nonetheless....I played with the idea that the villain(s) were the witches..too minor of characters....then with the idea that Macbeth was both hero and villain....but that really didn't fit the usual Shakespeare formula in my mind.....so my conclusion was that Macbeth was the perfect tragic hero and Lady Macbeth was the villain if there was a classic villain in the play.....boy did that go over like a lead balloon with my classmates and the instructor.....and got marked down for my insolence.....oy vey.... not that I wasn't used to it.....happened quite often at that college when you diverted from the expect norm...but that being said I acquired the "tools" I wanted...and just chalked up the rest as necessary hassles....I've always taken the path less traveled 

No comments:

Post a Comment