Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

(10:38 AM UTC-5)
(+21*F...s/wind chill....light snow)
(a YouTube mix...light classical)
  When I opened my emails there on the top (wasn't there when I went to bed about 11PM) informing me from the national weather service that we we in a lake effect snow band......actually I already knew that, I had looked out the window.....through 9:45 AM....try 10:15 AM......it has drifted south of us and now only light snow......look reasonably clear.....that is until midday tomorrow and radar shows a massive storm coming.......but it is February and it is Watertown.......
  The mix I'm listening to this AM contains the works of the family Strauss among others...grandfather,father,and son......of Vienna....during the mid to late 1800s......and one of their contemporaries Franz Von Suppe.....now he didn't know this at the time but Von Suppe was one of the greatest composers of cartoon music.....because all of his music was in the public domain it was used extensively by the cartoons......Bugs Bunny et al.........anyone who grew up in the 50s or 60s watching the cartoons on the boob tube on Saturday morning knew the music of Von Suppe and other composers of the romantic period.....we just didn't know.......well most of us didn't ...I did but I had played some of the pieces for piano lessons.......
  When I checked my Youtube page early.....in the recommended section was one that was American Marching Band Music...and my thoughts went to my dad who loved marching band music.....the last car he had had a cassette tape player...he had 2 that's right 2 and only 2 cassettes, one was a tape of old hymns and the other the marches of John Philip Sousa......but then while in high school I played in a marching band for 5 years.....so posted it to FB and tagged to of my old band mates.......both responded..

No comments:

Post a Comment