Watertown, NY, USA . "Public Square" (vintage, date unknown) but the monument is honoring veterans of the American Civil War so the date of the image is late 1800s

Monday, January 8, 2018

{3:21 PM EST)
(+33*F......-23*F windchill)
(Now Playing: a "Hornblower" episodes)
  Just finished a proper meal......polish sausage, baked beans and sauerkraut.......well proper meal for where I grew up......a rural dairy area outside of Buffalo NYS.......my dad worked in a factory in the city, but decided to move about 20 miles east of Buffalo to the town of Alden.....The great majority of the families and therefore the kids..either lived on farms or the dads work in the factories in the metro area.....and by in large there were either of Polish or German descent.....In point of fact there was two kids in high school of Italian heritage, at least in the upper grades and we used to tease them that the only reason we put up with them was because their family owned a pizzeria...but they were good kids, and it was all in good fun......
  We were when I was growing up always told we were of German descent....and had a name to match....maybe a bit of Polish......our family came to the USA from what was then East Prussia (in the late 1800s)....that real estate is now part of Poland.....about ten years ago an uncle and one of my cousins did some research and discovered that much of our heritage was Ashkenazi (link).....and I can remember some Yiddish expressions being used at family gatherings......I am Christian....protestant.....and also have an education from a very conservative fundamentalist baptist college..don't worry I got better...but in respect for my roots I'm teaching myself Yiddish...
 Spent some time today going through the groups I follow on FaceBook......change all of them to see all posts......got floored with alerts, then went back and cleaned out the political ones, and support groups...
they had been little use to me....

No comments:

Post a Comment